Tuesday, April 16, 2013

16APRIL2013 @ Big Timber, MT -

The sun is up bright, looking fine.  Alas, fine it is not as the projected high for today is about 37.  That plus wind 10-15 mph from the northeast means a head wind for two/three miles then a side wind.  Well, it would be a side wind if I travelled that far ... that's not even a small if, forget big.
No, I will paddle only about two miles and stay another night in Big Timber.  I don't work on the Arizona house when it is below 40 degrees and that can be expected for floating.  I will put aside that maxim tomorrow, though; tomorrow will present a tail wind and while still cold, the tail wind and I will head southeast.
At 1130 I moved to the Lazy J motel and at noon it was snowing blizzardly.  There was no way I would walk out past the rodeo grounds in that snow, but by 1330 walking I was.  The blizzard had ended, the paved road to the rodeo grounds was melted clear and - surprise - past that was beyond where snow had fallen.  The two mile paddle to the highway 191 bridge was easy (quite calm) yet completed in another blizzard.  Only 50 yards from the bridge it could not be seen.  Tying up below the bridge I walked into town ... farther than I expected.  John Townsend stopped and carried me to the Lazy J.  Easily twenty vehicles passed before John pulled alongside.  No, I was not hitchhiking, but I was walking along with a paddle, wearing a life preserver and was getting covered fairly thickly with snow ... so, big mahalo to you, John Townsend.  By 1700 I was warmed up again, the blizzard had stopped and the streets were once again melted clear.
Today I saw ducks, geese and whitetail deer.  Of domesticated animals I saw many sheep with lambs ... lambs are almost as cute as puppies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment