Monday, April 18, 2016

16APRIL2016 @ Forsyth, MT

It's a good half-day to watch rain, arrange gear, buy some better garbage bags and be assured that all internet communications are completed.  It's chilly, maybe even cold ... but that's what clothes are for so really no problem.  At noon the canoe had been rolled the final two blocks to the river and all my gear was alongside.  I took longer than normal packing the canoe, consolidating stuff that was separated and getting the heavier stuff more up front.  Eventually I pushed off and was met with corn snow, getting everything a mite wetted.  It was 100% cloudy and I was facing a headwind ... though not a strong one.  An extra 500 cfs every day is starting to be felt as even with a head wind the canoe moves along quite well.  I paddle, but the real downstream impetus is the current.  Should the daily cfs rise continue I will soon be moving along very swiftly.  The extra water makes the river travel much easier in another way, that being that the rocks are more and more covered; should one not be seen the possibility that it will catch the canoe is lessened.  As the hours passed the clouds thinned and the sun was bright, though not very warm.  After only about three hours I got out near Rosebud, met Zane Montgomery and was offered his camper trailer for the night.  As great as my tent is, a camper trailer is super appreciated.  I rummaged around his out buildings, found a well-watered book of short stories, turned on the light, set the space heater on "Pilot Light", got under the covers and read a bit.  Later I woke up and turned out the light.  It's cold out there.     

No comments:

Post a Comment