Friday, April 19, 2013

19APRIL2013 @ Columbus, MT -

I awakened to hear Joe Scarborough (on TV) tell me that half of the Boston Marathon bombers had been killed and many/most/all Watertown (Mass) folks were directed to stay home with locked doors today.  Apparently our police are going door to door searching for the second murderer.  Very dangerous.  I find myself with two thoughts ... one that I am glad it is not the Back Bay section of Boston where a cousin resides and the second is that I do not want a trial.  I don't expect this to end with anything but at least one more death ... an MIT policeman upped the "killed list" to four last night. 
The sun is up and it is above freezing.  Rain showers are expected this afternoon.  Perhaps I will depart soon and catch up this blog when I get into the coming winter storm ... expected to hit on Sunday.
"Coming winter storm".  Ridiculous.  That, the past three weeks struggle to get this far, the disappointing motel time (and costs) in Big Timber, the strange cold weather that caused the nights in Big Timber, the bump bump bump getting into Columbus, the fact that I canoe for solitude and not for whitewater, the fact that my map actually shows rapids ahead and showed none anywhere behind me, that I have a renter that will be moving sorta soon, that our Maui house has need of a roof and multiple thousands are being mentioned to address that, the fact that I can go to Maui and do the same work rather than piddle (not paddle mind you) on this river, that based upon how things are unfolding when I get to Lake Sakakawea I'm likely to see miles and miles of ice all add to going home and returning to Columbus next April.
So this trip this year is over.  Soon I will be bussing to Livingston and well before dark should be motoring west with my canoe and gear.  If not tonight, then tomorrow I will be back in Helena.
Sure enough at 1630 I was leaving the Livingston bus station ... at 1800 I was back at the river in Columbus beginning to retrieve my gear and canoe ... at 1900 I was leaving the Columbus IGA ... at 2100 I was bedding down in Joe M's cabin in Bozeman.  Three Columbus High Schoolers were very helpful with the canoe and shagging my gear.  Big Mahalo to you fine young folks.  Between Big Timber and Bozeman Pass I drove through torrential rain ... gear is damp as I enter Nodland.       

2 comments:

  1. Yeah i remember that rapids at Columbus!!! A friend swamped his canoe there. That is the same section my friend went from livingston to columbus in 7-hours....crazy fast and high water.
    stay safe and let me know on truck.
    norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will- Felomina left us a message and said " We do not want him to interrupt his canoe trip. We are doing the project here on Maui slowly. We will make no final decision until he is also informed." She reiterated not to interrupt your trip, but to continue.

    Hope you get this in time!!!
    Norm

    ReplyDelete