Wednesday, April 20, 2016

19APRIL2016 @ Miles City, MT

The manager of the CENEX station asked how I was doing so I told him.  He found the trip interesting and gifted me the coffee.  I took it back through the rain, weather.commed it and ascertained that the rain would end about 10AM.  At about 10 I was at the water plant and pushed off shortly thereafter.  It rained twice - lightly - in the first few miles  then the clouds began thinning.  It never got clear but the sun came through about 20%.  The headwind was overcome by the current and the miles began disappearing.  Rocks, rocks and more rocks.  God loves rocks and put many in the Yellowstone River downstream from Miles City.  After about ten miles I encountered a rock garden that was a half mile long.  That commanded my attention; I was barely able to snap a good-to-see-you-wave at two sportsmen on the shore.  I saw a coyote, geese, ducks, pelicans and whitetail deer today.  Trees continue to be in winter mode, though a bit of spring fuzz is beginning.  Cliffs are gone and badlands are here.  Many banks are steep and impossible to climb.  I've even entered an unusual river bank scene, one with benign slopes on both sides.  This does not occur continuously , but that it happens at all is unusual.  Irrigation pumps are running and water is flowing back into the river.  I'm guessing that the flumes and canals are being flushed.  The result is a light chocolate color hugging each bank for miles.  Well before dark I pulled over and set up.  This was done early in order to assure that any wet bedding was dried before dark.  The pads were damp but the bags dry.  Supper of salted nuts, a date/almond/cherry bar and grape juice set me for the night ... and the wind stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment