Thursday, April 21, 2016

20APRIL2016 @ Shirley, MT

Today there was no wind.  I paddled 20 miles through sun, occasional shade and temperatures near 70.  I chose the short walk into Terry for a real meal and was drawn into the Kempton hotel.  In the 1980s I spent many nights at the Kempton, so I opted from a trip down memory lane and checked in.  They arranged a ride back to my canoe for my toiletries, medicine and change of clothes and by 5PM had consumed a steak and regroceried.  By 7PM I had showered and by midnight I was again awake and posting this log. Today was the second day headed northeast.  This direction is desirable as the late day the sun id behind and affects my skin less.  I'm well covered except for face, hands and feet but my lower lip is blistered.  During the Columbus-Billings days I did not locate the chapstick and my blistered lip has not yet healed, so  having the sun behind me is wonderful.  For the four days until I reach the confluence this direction of travel will continue.  Walking toward Terry I passed a snake.  Geese, Ducks Pelicans and Bald Eagles were seen also ... Osprey and Eagles are diminishing.  The riverine geology continues to surprise me.  There are far more rocks to paddle around than I ever expected.  On one occasion I got too close to a rough passage.  I was able to pull alongside a dirt cliff, facing backward.  After determining the route I rotated into the current, hit the gap and bounced through.  This spot was a river wide shelf that has broken into boulders; several of these were passed today.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear about your progress but sorry to hear about your sore lip. Take care.

    ReplyDelete