Friday, April 22, 2016

22APRIL2016 near Glendive, MT

My Heavens what a night!!  Ridiculously strong winds hammered the tent for several hours .. then about midnight just stopped.  I choose to not relate all that I tried to alleviate the problem but THE ONE THAT WORKED was take off the tarp and open all the windows.  Just let the wind come on through .. it wasn't cold, so ... that actually worked.  The tarp went back on when the wind stopped, more to shield me from the moonlight ... true scoop, moonlight! Sleep was good and by 0930 I was at Glendive.  The first bridge is for trains ... the second is for pedestrians and at the west end is a  motel.  How convenient and something to remember.  The 11 miles melted away and - it appearing that I will easily get to the Intake Dam - I opted for a righteous lunch at Madhatters.  Getting back on the river I was surprised to paddle on with no wind ... it even began feeling hot.  The river has no boulders and it all just slips by smooth and steady.  Trees are still in the winter look but soon that will change.  As I approached the dam I had two very difficult passages, each being when headed east and getting past a head wind.  "Past" is indeed the word for as soon as I rounded the bend the wind stopped ... totally stopped.  At about 5PM I reached the dam.  To my great surprise the dam is a pile of rocks.  I expected a Toston Dam type structure.  Truth is that a skilled boatsman could paddle through this dam, but I opted for the portage.  Two fishers put aside their activities and lent a hand and things were looking good when I hurt my arm.  Something happened while removing the canoe from atop their truck and my reaction was to push up with my right - and I felt it immediately.  Down to the gravel the boat went and I got nauseous.  Something ripped in my arm.  I took off my shirt and the arm's appearance brought a "Ewww" from the helpers ... very disfigured arm.  So they went home and I set about with fine-tuning a campsite.  The right side is a party site ... where there are no pet rules ... where there are no quiet hours ... where my bedsite would be on gravel.  After 30 minutes or so of this futility, I left-armed my gear into the canoe and paddled across to the state camping area.  Before dark I was set up on concrete and feeling as good as possible.      

3 comments:

  1. Yeah in a low pressure now.....good for paddling since NO wind.....take advantage of it. I see you camped at Intake and portaged.
    Looking good Will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As good as that sounds, I injured my arm on the portage ... so I'm headed home right now. This trip is over for this year.

      Delete
  2. No need to push the river. Safe travels back to Helena.

    ReplyDelete