Thursday, April 21, 2016

21APRIL2016 @ Terry, MT

At Terry is the Badlands Café ... owned and operated by Lori Church.  They bake the bread that they serve.  They make coffee with real water, not that heavily sulfated Eastern Montana water that we tolerated back in the old days.  I did not ask, but it would appear that they slaughter and prepare the bacon.  At the very least they buy really great bacon.  The Badlands Café adds to a super wonderful Prairie town.  The home of Evelyn Cameron, the site of (probably) the oldest basketball court in Montana and a short walk to/from the river ... what's not to like?  I love Terry ... and ummm ... please do not take that out of context.  But back to the river.  Sunday 1 to 3 inches of rain is forecast and Saturday the wind is to be excessive ... so-o-o-o-o I plan to get to the Intake Dam Friday night.  More on this later, for now is the time to go.  Now this is later ... and go I did.  I pitched my tent 11 miles from Glendive - said the 2nd and 3rd people that I spoke with all day.  So I paddled about 30 miles from Terry and it was divine.  Into a headwind, yes, but no problem after the first mile.  During the first mile I was making my way against a wind that was creating foam lines.  For the rest of the day the wind was less or non-existent ... so, no foam lines, no problems.  Also no rocks ... or more correctly stated, a greatly diminished rock scene.  Terry to Glendive - a great river for floating and being lazy.   Several miles below Fallon I stopped and helloed with an agate gatherer.  He showed me an amazing agate ... big and shiny.  He was excited, saying it's the best he's found in years.  GDP predominated the day ... that's "Geese, Ducks, Pelicans".  I heard beavers after I was bedded down.  Three Bald Eagle pairs were seen ... and no Osprey.  After setting up camp I sat on a gravel bank, sipping tea and munching nuts ... waiting for the moonrise.  The moon rose without me - by that time I was looking over the inside of my eyelids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment