Saturday, April 9, 2016

8APRIL2016 at Columbus, MT

We awakened late, coffeed, groceried and lunched all the while attempting to get my SPOT happy ... or more appropriately said, tuned in to Facebook.  While getting an early lunch at the 307 Grill I did indeed click "facebook" so supposedly it is receiving my SPOT.  At about 2PM my gear was at the Columbus boat ramp and Felomina was headed west.  It was a bit sad seeing her go and a bit uncomfortable paddling the several miles of today.  Dad is (perhaps) dying right now and of course I have a "Should be there" thing kicking around in my being.  So-o-o-o that being how it was, at about 5PM I got out and arranged a camp.  All I really intended today was to get underway ... so here I am at a beautiful camp looking across a braided stream.  I walked about extensively, looking for the Clark/Charbonneau camp of 1806.  The site was recently "discovered" and I expected to see an indication of some excavations.  Perhaps some tree blazes ... perhaps some "Archeologists are divine" signs ... but nothing.  Even so, moving some turkeys around was fun.  Seeing geese, ducks and hearing a beaver made for a good starter day.  The river is moving nicely ... the temperature is 60s.

No comments:

Post a Comment